Thursday, October 7, 2010

even I am yogi...

Self culture, the practice of building character and making life an art, is, as longtime readers know, central to my love for the "Boston Unitarians."  I am giving a Lyceum lecture on "Self-culture" on Friday and am tracing the idea from the "visible saints" through the Transcendentalists.  This from a letter written by Henry David Thoreau::

"Free in this world as the birds in the air, disengaged from every kind of chains, those who practice the yoga gather in Brahma the certain fruits of their works.
   Depend upon it that, rude and careless as I am, I would fain practice the yoga faithfully.
   The yogi, absorbed in contemplation, contributes in his degree to creation; he breathes a divine perfume, he hears wonderful things.  Divine forms traverse him without tearing him, and united to the nature which is proper to him, he goes, he acts as animating original matter."
   To some extent, and at rare intervals, even I am yogi."

Blessings

No comments: