Friday, March 20, 2009

the yoke of love and obedience...

The Apostle Paul famously asked, "Why do I do what I don't want to do and don't do what I want to do? Rev. Tilden reminds us of the peace beyond joy of living a day of kind voice, good deed, and pure thoughts, a day of "lifting the burdens of others." Such a day seems far from us as we are so embroiled in our own worries and concerns. And yet, we know from experience the deep rest that comes from living such a day. "Why do I do what I don't want to do and don't do what I want to do?"

"REST (Scripture Readings)

"AND the apostles gathered themselves together unto Jesus, and told him all things, both what they had done, and what they had taught.
And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest awhile: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat.
And they departed into a desert place by ship privately.
**************************
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Matt. xi. Mark vl.
____________________________________________

REST (Tilden's Meditation)

MAN finds his true repose in a life that takes hold of the Eternal. Much as we need Christian work, there is need of something more, Rest, Rest in God, Rest in the bosom of His Everlasting Love. "Come ye yourselves and rest awhile" at the Master's feet.
"Come unto me and I will give you rest." Come, and let our hearts be sunned and warmed in the light of this infinite peace. What sweet rest comes to the soul at night, when all day long the voice has been kind and the deed good, the thought pure, hour by hour. Such days have glorious sunsets; the beauty of God is in the clouds. Lifting others' burdens not only lightens our own but brings a peace deeper than joy over us, like the light of day as it slowly flushes the East to herald the sunrise. So our mornings and our evenings are full of Peace. Let us put on the yoke of love and obedience, which fits the soul so perfectly that it makes every duty easy and every burden light.
To the lowly is given the promise."
Blessings

No comments: