Saturday, April 10, 2010

frankness and geniality...

Two more on the character and ministry of Samuel J. May. 

"GIVING AND TAKING FRANKNESS

Mr. May was often invited to preach in " evangelical" churches; but instead of improving the opportunity to show that he was almost a Methodist, or almost a Presbyterian, he was accustomed to say:
" The most important truths are those which relate to religion, and the best kindness we can show to each other is to impart our highest views of the Divine Character and of Human Duty. Therefore I shall tell you to-day what I believe to be the chief doctrines of the gospel; and I have also brought some doctrinal and practical tracts, which I shall be glad to have you take at the close of the service."

Sometimes he invited Orthodox ministers to occupy his pulpit, and he encouraged them to declare unto his people the whole counsel of God, as they understood it. u Preach not what you think Unitarians wish to hear, but what you think they need to hear."

and this...

"As he moved through the streets, almost every person knew him; but, whether acquainted or not, he scarcely ever passed an individual without some kind of salutation. " I can't bear to go by and look as if I did not recognize a man's existence. It seems churlish. I bow to his humanity," he said. A gentleman who walked with him in Syracuse said, " Mr. May, I should think your head would be tired nodding."

Blessings

No comments: