Sunday, March 1, 2009

A likeness to thy Son...

For the most part, western churches do not include the Sundays during lent among the 40 days as Sunday looks to Easter in its celebration of the triumph of Jesus over death. In this book of devotions, Laura Tilden (daughter of William Phillips Tilden and compiler of this devotional) includes scripture and, usually, a hymn (this week by William Henry Furness)
(The picture I have included is a detail of picture I remember so vividly hanging in my Grandparent's home when I was growing up. It was framed in ornate plastic and, for some reason, I remember it as backlit, thus providing a glow. It is, and always will be, a central visual representation of Jesus for me.

The First Sunday in Lent (Scripture Readings)

"DESPISEST thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
Now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ. our Lord.
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
And if children, then heirs: heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ: if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. . . .
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." (Romans)

_______________________________________________________

THE FIRST SUNDAY IN LENT. (Hymn)

I FEEL within a want
Forever burning there.
What I so thirst for, grant,
O Thou who hearest prayer

This is the thing I crave, —
A likeness to thy Son :
This would I rather have
Than call the world my own

'Tis my most fervent prayer;
Be it more fervent still ;
Be it my highest care ;
Be it my settled will.

William Henry Furness.
Have a blessed Sabbath.

1 comment:

PeaceBang said...

It amazes me that your good "Looteran" grandparents and my good Russian Orthodox grandparents had the same image of Jesus on their walls. I always think of him (fondly) as "The Breck Girl Jesus." Look at those flowing locks!