Thursday, March 26, 2009

hunger...

We live in a culture that would have us never acknowledge spiritual hunger. Immediate and temporary bandages hide the wounds and we are surprised when we find they haven't healed. Today's Leaflet speaks to this condition...

"THE BREAD OF LIFE (Scripture Readings)

LABOUR not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.
. . . Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, -verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.
For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.
Then said they unto him, Lord, ever more give us this bread.
And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. . . .
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. . . .
As the living Father hath sent me, and I live 'by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.
. . . The words that I speak unto you, they are spirit and they are life.
I am that bread of life.
John vl.
________________________________________________________

THE BREAD OF LIFE (Tilden's Meditation)

"THIS bread of heaven can nourish only those who partake; and none will partake but those who hunger. Here is living bread: his truth, his life, his spirit. This is indeed bread for the soul. It nourishes devotion. It still feeds the hungry world. If it heals not the sick body, it heals the sadder sickness of the heart. If it couches not the blind eye, it pours light on darkened mind. If it raises not the widow's son, it comforts the widow's sorrow. If it opens not sealed ears, it unseals conscience. If it brings not strength to palsied limb, it does start life in palsied soul. Jesus would link life with his coming death. His body, broken on the cross, was to become the bread of life to all the world. God's word spoken to his soul was in his life made flesh; so he lives on through the ages, the Way to noblest living, the Truth that inspires, the Life that always is."



Blessings

No comments: