Saturday, March 13, 2010

"the young apostle of the world-wide hope...

The very title of this blog is evidence that I have tended to focus on the Unitarian side of our great history.  This is meant as no slight to our Universalist roots and I periodically resolve to read more in the Universalist tradition.  A couple of days ago, I was helping to weed out some old books at the wonderful library and center for the arts that is a part of our church and came across six or seven Universalist works and yesterday dived into Oscar S. Safford's biography called "Hosea Ballou: A Marvellous Life Story."  As a specimen of the biographical art, it is no doubt lacking but I am very much enjoying it. 
   Here is the Winchester Profession of 1803, a foundational Creedal statement:
  
"We believe that the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments contain a revelation of the character of God and of the duty, interest and final destination of mankind.

We believe that there is one God, whose nature is love, revealed in one Lord Jesus Christ, by one Holy Spirit of Grace, who will finally restore the whole family of mankind to holiness and happiness.

We believe that holiness and true happiness are inseparably connected, and that believers ought to be careful to maintain order and practice good works; for these things are good and profitable unto men."

Blessings

4 comments:

Steven Rowe said...

>Oscar S. Safford's biography called >"Hosea Ballou: A Marvellous Life >Story." As a specimen of the >biographical art, it is no doubt >lacking but I am very much enjoying >it.

Part of the enjoyment of this book, is that it was intended for children, thus focusing it on the basics.

slt said...

Many thanks for writing-I did enjoy the book (in the "reviews" that I had read, there was no mention of it being written for children so that is interesting)
It is, however, clearly singing to the choir. Of course I personally will take that kind of biography over the kind that seeks to psychoanalyze and/or tear down the subject any time! Blessings and thanks again. BU

Steven Rowe said...

You are correct, I am wrong. In the midst of a long slow move, I was relying on memory, rather than being able to locate. In this case, the memory was wrong. I had assumed it was part of the series of books written for children around this time (or so my memory tells me it was around this time).
of course, as the book clearly states, it was written to be a "modern" replacement for earlier biographies that have dated.

slt said...

Memory is like that (at least it is for me!) I am now reading Whittemore's "Plain Guide to Universalism" and learning much from it. I wish you well with your move and thanks again for writing.
Blessings, BU