Wednesday, July 1, 2009

all Unitarians Hindus...

This from Wendy Doniger's "The Hindus: An Alternative History" in which she reviews attempts to define Hinduism...

"In what seems to me to be something like desperation, a number of people have defined Hinduism as the religion of people who cannot or will not define their religion. This view was only somewhat sharpened by Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan (president of India from 1962 to 1967), who defined Hinduism as the belief "that truth was many-sided and different views contained different aspects of truth which no one could fully express," which would, I think, make all Unitarians Hindus..."


Blessings

2 comments:

Erik Resly said...

I'm excited to see these links being revisited! As a self-identified U*U-Sikh, I often wonder why more is not made of the striking similarities and mutually beneficial richness that American U*Uism and the great Indian Traditions share and offer one another. As time allows, I try and blog about my journey through these faithscapes at: http://embodiedfragments.blogspot.com/. I look forward to entering into this discussion re: Hinduism following my Fall seminary class on the subject! Blessings.

slt said...

Erik,
Its great to hear from you-my own knowledge of the Indian traditions is superficial but I am working on that and look forward to reading more at Embodied Fragments. Thanks and blessings, BU